sábado, 13 de julio de 2013

I Hate Spain (by Nick Anders, disillusioned expat)

Maybe hate is too strong a word but ok then I dislike Spain, I’ve had enough, get me out of here – whatever your choice, the end result if the same. I’m leaving Spain to go back to the UK.
I’m not the only one who now hates Spain. It’s a bit like the thin line between love and hate.
I moved to Spain four years ago to start a new life and at first I loved it but now I hate Spain and can’t wait to get out.
There are lots of downsides to living in Spain and I just didn’t know about these when I moved to Spain.
I’ve been living in Nerja which is a coastal town with nice sandy beach on the Costa del Sol of Spain, I won’t bore you with my tales of woe but I wanted to write this to let off some steam but also to warn anyone thinking of moving to Spain to be very careful.
At least move to Spain with your eyes wide open – aware of all the negatives about living in Spain.
An expats life in Spain can be really hard, a constant struggle, make sure you are prepared for all of this because you haven’t seen anything like this on A Place In The Sun and nobody involved in the property/estate agent business will ever warn you of the downsides and disadvantages to moving and living in Spain.

Reasons I Now Hate Spain and Want To Move Back

Crime in Spain

I felt safe in Spain when I first moved here. I didn’t see any crime, people were friendly, I thought crime didn’t hardly exist here.
Until I found out that often when people are burgled in Spain they are bound and gagged.
The luckier ones are gassed. Even houses with dogs – and have you noticed how many people have big dogs – yeah now I get it – get hit because they poison the dogs.
No, I don’t like living in fear and I’m sure the recession will only increase crime in Spain.
Trouble is Spain is very close to some very poor African countries and there are lots of poor immigrants, mostly illegal, who will do anything to survive.

Work and Jobs in Spain

I moved to Spain for a better life. I hate how I now work harder in Spain than I ever did in the UK. I moved to Spain with savings of £15,000, now I have pretty much nothing but the shirt on my back.
I figured that with so many expats living in Spain that there must be a bundle of potential new business opportunities or companies looking for staff. I was so wrong!
I soon found out that jobs and opportunities in Spain were few and far between apart from the obvious ones.
Fact – I hate villa cleaning, I hate cleaning pools, I hate working in bars until 2 am waiting for the last drunken expat to leave, I hate building work in the baking midday sun. I hate Spain!

The Word Manana

Like everyone else I thought this was a funny joke at first. Every time a person in Spain – whether Spanish or British let me down I would grin and say manana like it was ok or normal. When I’m paying for a job I want it done as promised – and on time – or am I mad for expecting this?

Customer Service in Spain

What I hate in Spain is when I go into a shop and stand waiting while the assistant chats away to their friend or relative totally ignoring me and everyone else.
In this global economy you just can’t see the Spanish having a chance against the likes of American, British or Indian companies who are hungry and put customer service first.
There is NO customer service in Spain. Much of the time you are served when people feel like it, you get little help and assistance and often you are not even greeted at the counter – you greet them. It is like you are doing them a favour by shopping there!
I hate getting anything done in Spain. Often I end up going to the local town hall and being sent from one department to another where I am told conflicting advice. The paperwork and bureaucracy is horrendous. If you are coming to live in Spain bring a photocopier!

Getting Ripped Off in Spain

I hate that people prey on each other in Spain. Everyone seems so desperate that getting cheated is a story every expat I know can tell. I personally put a €8,000 deposit down on an apartment and the estate agent did a runner with my cash. God knows where they are now but I won’t stop looking until I find them.
Other common expat stories are ones such as being sold a property that was actually illegal, didn’t have planning permissions etc and often the people had a Spanish lawyer so they were not cutting corners and they still have lost their life savings.
Corruption is a problem in Spain and often there are stories in the newspapers about local town hall officials being involved in shady/illegal deals. Anything and I mean anything, can happen in Spain.
When I first moved to Spain the currency was the Peseta. The cost of living in Spain was low as most food and drink was cheap compared to northern Europe. Then the Euro came in and it seemed everyone took the opportunity to raise their prices – typical – now I think it could actually be possible – no I’m sure it is – that the cost of living is now higher than the UK!
When I go back to the UK I notice sales, discounts. When I go shopping in Spain, despite a so called recession I don’t see shops dropping the prices, I don’t see special offers, I don’t see much evidence of competition between retailers. In my local supermarket when food goes out of date they don’t slash the price, instead it stays on the shelf and so you have to be careful what you are buying.

Poor Roads/Facilities in Spain

I hate the lack of infrastructure in Spain. The motorways/auto routes are superb as a lot of EU money has been given to Spain but locally our roads are terrible. The amount of tyres we go through because of holes in the road is ridiculous.
There is no drainage so when it rains heavily places get flooded and roads are washed away. Areas that used to soak up the water have been built on due to pure greed. The councils just don’t seem to invest back into the community, instead the money collected from me in taxes is blown up – literally – by stunning firework displays that even Disney would be proud of.
I wish I had never moved to Spain and I urge anyone else thinking of Spain seriously to consider my story, especially any young families who I see writing on the expat forums about how they can’t wait to move to Spain, how they are fed up with life in the United Kingdom etc – you don’t realise how lucky you have it!
What they don’t read about are the thousands of young families who have moved to Spain and who would love to move back to the UK, if they only could afford to as they have no money. Or the ones who have moved back already having realised their mistake in moving to Spain in the first place.
Ni som faktiskt läste hela - pluspoäng till er;)
Jag kom av misstag in på ett forum som det här inlägget fanns på och tänkte att det kan få mej att börja tycka mindre om Spanien. För det är ganska jobbigt att 24/7 tänka att jag skulle vilja vara där. Min första reaktion på det här inlägget är nog tyvärr inte någon överraskning. Allt dåligt han räknar upp kan jag nog tro att stämmer, men inte överallt. Lika mycket dåliga saker skulle jag kunna räkna upp om Finland och då kan jag nog ändå säga att Finland är ett rätt så ''bra'' land överlag. Så, texten hjälpte mej inte så hemskt mycket men den var intressant.

6 comentarios:

  1. Thank God you went back to your muddy country Mr.Anders

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. I agree... expats like him we DON'T need while enjoying our lives in Spain (18 years and counting!) I see your blog post even made the Olive Press!

      Eliminar
  2. Your blog post has been found by The Daily Express - a very foolish English newspaper. https://www.express.co.uk/travel/articles/1549147/british-expat-spain-nightmare-real-life-experience

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Yup, this blog post is typical of the Express's crap publishing

      Eliminar
  3. YOu had only €15,000 and no income and obviously couldn't find a suitable job, this begs the question how could you finance buying a property.
    Many people have come to the beautiful town of Nerja, found work (maybe not what is their first choice) but made a go of it.
    We did 20 years ago and now consider Nerja our home.


    ResponderEliminar
  4. This is clearly entirely based on our popular page on our website:

    https://www.spainmadesimple.com/moving-to-spain/i-hate-spain/

    Yet your article DOES NOT make clear that we are the source. We are a website started in 2004 dedicated to help and advice for expats moving to and living in Spain.

    While it is obviously too late now to capture visitors we would appreciate some reciprocal help by adding a link to our website please, either to our homepage or the specific page in question.

    We do have many comments on this page so it would be helpful for your readers who want to follow up on the theme this article focuses on.

    Kind Regards

    Mark Eastwood

    ResponderEliminar